FREE!

Nut Free!

Gluten Free!

Dairy Free!

All these words appear on the packages of food I bought today. In my shopping cart there was; rice bran, gluten free bread and, gluten free crackers (really yummy but could use some salt. I'm not allergic to THAT!), tahini, brown rice pasta, gluten free wraps made with teff flour (from Africa), vegan margarine and brown rice rice cakes.

They are all pretty good but it's going to take some getting used to. Gone are the sauces, the gooey cheese, the crackers, the ice cream...and yes, the chocolate! Okay, truth be told, I do sneak an After Eight after the occasional meal but I'm not fooling anyone because within minutes of consuming it my throat gets all phlegmy and I started 'uh hem-ing.' It's a dead give away.

The adjustment will take time and I am by no means denying myself over Christmas--I'm having those homemade cinnamon buns and that hashbrown casserole on Christmas morn, and I'm having yam casserole with pecans, gravy, mashed potatoes smothered in butter, cherry crisp for dessert and truffle for Christmas dinner...oh yes, I am!! I'm going to blow my nose all through the meal and 'ah hem' my way through desert and then clear my throat for the rest of the night but all that wonderful indulgence is worth it.

Bring on the food!

Okay, on a non food related note--my baby is turning 7 years old in a couple of days! SEVEN!! When did that happen? I'm still trying to lose all the baby weight I gained with him. Perhaps this new gluten, dairy, nut, raw fruit, seafood free lifestyle of mine will help achieve that.

One can only hope.

Comments

Sandra said…
Good luck with this new eating style Lisa! Couldn't the diagnosis have waited until after the holidays???
I'm sure there are probably plenty of gluten/dairy free blog and websites, but I thought I'd refer you to a friend of mine's blog - she's got other topics on there too, but often posts recipes in the gluten and dairy free category. http://talesofatiredmommy.blogspot.com/
Merry Christmas!
Carmen said…
You know, it gets to a point where WHY bother eating ever again?? I mean, just blend up some kind of protein shake and suck it down and be done with it. I hate allergies...

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!