Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark.
Anonymous

Knees: I drive with my knees. Otherwise, how can I put on my lipstick and talk on my phone?
Sharon Stone

Brain:The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.
Robert Frost

Fingers: Happiness never lays its finger on its pulse.
Adam Smith

Ankle: Did someone sew a baseball under my skin or is that my ankle?
Kiki
After 6 hours in the ER, a one minute discussion with the doctor, and 20 minutes in the cast clinic, Kiki came home with a pair of crutches and this:

 
Not feeling entirely confident about the one minute consultation she had with the doctor, I decided to take her to Children's Hospital a couple of days later for a second opinion. After a 20 minute wait, a 25 minute consultation with the doctor, and zero minutes in the cast clinic we came out with a similar diagnosis: Grade 1 fracture on the growth plate and a grade 2 sprain on the ankle with some evidence of ligament tears. No weight bearing for 10 days; no dance for 2 weeks, no cast, no concern that her growth will be affected, and....no more worries! I didn't realize how worried I was about the growth plate, her injury and how returning to dance might affect it, and how sad Kiki was going to be if she had to end up missing the entire dance year due to a 6-8 week stint in a cast, but I found myself sighing out these huge releases of energy the whole way home. I kept stroking Kiki's arm and telling her how relieved I was.

And from now on...any time my kids are sick, have an injury or need medical treatment we will be going to Children's Hospital!   I always reserved it in my mind as the place one goes for serious situations and so we have always gone to our local hospital but the degree of service, care, and expertise there is second to none.

Want to know something that sent a little shiver down my spine?  When the nurse asked me if Kiki had ever been admitted to Children's I realized that it was 12 years ago TO THE DAY and THE EXACT TIME  that she had been at Children's having her heart surgery as a small 5.5 day old baby.

Fortunately a  half cast, some Advil and a trip through the Starbucks drive thru was all that was needed to be help Kiki this time....

Thank God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Scents and Scents-ability