It all started with....

It all started with cancer.

You think this is going to be a sad story, don't you?  And you probably think it's going to lead into a menagerie of anecdotes about IV's, surgeries, chemotherapy etc, don't you?

Well, you'd be  wrong.

I'll tell you where it ends so that you don't get sad.  It ends with food.

There.  Food is good so you can be happy now.

Now, back to the beginning.  It all started with cancer.

When my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer we decided to take the whole family and visit him on the prairies after he had his surgery.   We arrived unannounced.  Okay, well to clarify, I was expected but my whole dang family wasn't so it was quite a surprise to my parents.  Picture the scenario--two people living alone, one just recovering from surgery, so there's not a lot of food in the house, right?  There are no beds ready for five people to sleep in.  And we are just going to have to 'adapt' for a day or two until we can get into town and get Grandma and Grandpa 'set up' for us.

Boy, was I wrong!

Five people descended on my parents: there were beds ready and tons of food in both the fridge and freezer!!!

My mom and dad are amazing!  They grow almost all their own food and then can, freeze and cook/bake the fruits of their labors.   Their freezers were full of food!

This really inspired me so when we got back home, hubby and I ran to Costco and bought an upright freezer so that we could fill it with homemade food.

We brought that freezer into our house on December 29, went skiing on December 30th, and by January 2nd it was full with  homemade:

lasagna
beef dairy casserole
bean soup
chocolate chip cookies
ginger snaps
granola bars
brownies
double chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips
spaghetti sauce
pizza dough (with pepperoni and cheese in a separate baggie)
teriyaki chicken sauce with prepared chicken breasts
6 loaves of homemade bread
1 roll of buns
2 loaves of banana bread
cubed ham for frittatas or quiche
cooked ground beef for meat pies



So now that my freezer is full you think I could just relax, right?  Noooo....now I am re-arranging my entire kitchen to make it more efficient.   I'm off to the store now to buy bins for organizing.

Have I mentioned how much I love bins?

I'm practically hyperventilating....

Stay tuned to see what happens tomorrow.  (I have no idea what that will be but my kids' closets better watch out...just sayin')



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Scents and Scents-ability