My new Ken doll...

On the night before Christmas, it was quiet through the house and not a creature was stirring...except Hubby and me putting all the presents under the tree.  This year we didn't put any (other than those received in the mail from family) under the tree until the last possible minute.  This wasn't because we are sadistic parents--our kids asked us to do it this way!

So as I'm putting the presents under the tree I make a grand discovery.  There's one there for me!!  From my hubby!  I'm so excited!!

Break to Christmas morning; the kids are in a flop sweat, they are excited out of their minds, and we have Grandma and Grandpa on Skype. Time to begin!

Oh my gosh, the kids' faces were out of this world when they opened their various presents. I didn't take many pictures this year because I just wanted to enjoy every smile and laugh and just soak it all in.

Eventually, Kiki hands me a present from Daddy! It's THE ONE! Long and rectangular. 'Hmmm..that can't be jewelry,' I surmise. 'It's too light to be much of anything, in fact.' Unable to wait a moment longer, I tear open the box and reveal...

A Barbie.

Actually, to be more specific....

A Ken Doll.



I look questioningly at my loving hubby and he says, "Didn't you say you wanted a Ken doll for Christmas?"

"A KEN doll? No, I said I wanted a Kindle!! Oh my gosh! Did you get me a Kindle? Is this a trick?!"

"I must have misunderstood," he says, "I thought you said you wanted a Ken doll."  He looks crestfallen.

I try surreptitiously to turn the box this way and that looking for a clue or a coupon that says "Good for one free Kindle."

But there's nothing.

Zilch.

Zip.

Nada.

The gravity of the situation lays hold in my mind:  'Whoa...he actually got me a Ken doll. That's my present. Whoa...(sigh)...that kinda blows.' Being the mature adult that I am however, I put on a happy face, shake the disappointment and continue to revel in the kids' glory as they open amazing gift after amazing gift but inside I'm kinda stewin'.

A Ken doll? A KEN DOLL? A KEN DOLL?!

Seriously?!!

Hubby opens his gifts: jeans, dress shirt, cologne, cuff links...

...and I got a dumb Ken doll!!

Finally we come to the final present. It's addressed to the kids and it's from their dad with a warning to 'open me last.'

"Can we open it now, Daddy? " they squeal.

"Yep, go ahead," he says with a smile.

They tear open the paper to reveal...

...another layer of wrapping

...and a note which reads:

"This is just a joke. This present is really for mom. Please give it to her."

I tore off the wrapping like it was on fire and there it was....


My Kindle!!! 


Ahh...I can breathe now....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this story, it's kinda like the one where Steve gave me a bucket of dirt, yes wrapped a bucket of dirt, I looked at him like he was nuts and he told me to keep going, so outside i went and started digging in the dirt and to my surprise out fell a little box with a sapphire ring it it.... Kim
Anonymous said…
Why did the Ken Doll gift blow - as you say???? He can be maneuvered into 100+ poses!!! Didn't you read the box? :)

Wendy
Debbie Jo said…
HAHAH fantastic! Loved this post Lisa!

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Scents and Scents-ability