Recipe: Chicken with Curry Sour Cream Sauce

A couple of years ago I went out for dinner at a trendy, beachside restaurant where I had THE most delicious chicken dish.  The combination of curry, cream, butternut squash, and other veggies which my aging mind fails to recall, were delightful.   I have tried to recreate it using ingredients that are simple and quick.

Here is the recipe.  You can add any vegetable you want (cooked butternut squash is super yummy!) and I think I've even added roasted cashews before.  You can serve it over rice--sticky, Japanese sushi rice is my favorite but you can also use basmati with a little bit of tumeric and butter stirred in--or you can serve it over pasta--fettucini or linguini.  Use your imagination and give it a whirl.  Let me know how it turns out!!

Chicken with Curry Sour Cream Sauce:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
4 chicken breast halves (2.5 lbs each)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup onion
1/4 cup water
2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chutney

1. Heat oil in 12 inch skillet.  Cook chicken in oil about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.  Drain fat from skillet.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt.  Add onion and a little bit of water (just enough to coat the bottom of the pot).  Heat to boiling and reduce heat.  Cover and simmer until juice of chicken is no longer pink.
3. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm
4. add 1/4 cup water, curry, ginger and cumin to skillet.  Heat to boiling, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet.  Reduce heat to low; stir in sour cream just until hot.
5. Pour sauce over chicken.  Serve with chutney (I have never done this yet).
6. Serve with rice or pasta.
7. ENJOY!!

Comments

Tam said…
Wow I might have to try and cook this! Thats right, I might cook. It sounds so yummy!
Carmen said…
Sounds tasty. I will have to try it. Although I will be the only one eating this dish since my "Italian" household (= spoiled children) have basically deemed all other food "unworthy"...

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!