Just one, teensy, weensy, little question...

When we are painting only ONE room in the house why do all the others look like a tornado has passed through?

I don't understand it. We had two desks in the office, an entertainment unit, a chair and two computers. The two desks have been dismantled and put away. The entertainment unit has been pulled out into the middle of the room.

But my living room is full of drawers, computers, monitors, keyboards, speakers, armchair cushions, armchair skeleton, lamps, knick knacks, and office chairs! I didn't think there was that much stuff on, or related to, those two desks we took apart!

I'm starting to wonder if a tad bit of color on the walls is really too much of an effort. Good grief! I can barely walk in here.

And of course, all the stuff that would normally get placed on the dining room table now filters into the kitchen and other adjoining rooms. I had to push water bottles, cameras, nail files (don't even ask), computer mouses (mice?), tissue boxes and heaven knows what else, just to get to my laptop in order to write this blog.

I'm not complaining, (okay, maybe I am but it sounds so much more magnanimous of me if I make an attempt to be stoic about this), but I'm a little concerned about what we're going to face when we attempt to paint the master bedroom!! All that stuff is just going to filter down to the living room and dining room, right? Can you imagine? Clothes sprawled across the furniture, undies hanging from the chandelier (although that happens every Saturday night! Mwu ha ha ha ....TMI,perhaps?!), toothbrushes in the cutlery drawer ('cause we're painting the ensuite too), and bedroom furniture on the front lawn (which means the undies will be hanging from one of the trees on Sunday morning. Oh the em-bare-*ss-ment!)

Oh yeah, did I mention that Hubby is a perfectionist so none of the painting or the prep can be done by me. I am a slap-it-together-and-let-it-ride kind of gal who believes that there's ALWAYS time to re-do what should have been done correctly in the first place. No matter that it may take YEARS to get back to it, the point is that it's done and it's semi-okay if you squint your eyes in the right manner and if the lighting is low. This doesn't work for Hub though. He's a tape-it-up, wash-it-down, evaluate, re-evaluate and then evaluate one more time kind of guy. It takes FOREVER to paint because this 'obsession' with perfection flows over even into the dismantling of the room and the removal of fixtures. Everything has to be cleaned or wiped down, screws need to be put together in a baggie or else taped to the fixture, and it all needs to be put away in a logical and tidy manner. This SO goes against my nature.

Which is why we've lived in this house almost 8 years and the majority of the walls are still white.

So, while we make plans to paint and while I appease my Hubby by wiping, organizing and cleaning, I find that it's much better for my psyche to just squint, turn the lighting down low, light a candle, imagine my walls to be a different color...and rescue my undies off of whatever fixture they land upon on Saturday night.

Comments

Carmen said…
But more importantly, WHAT colour are you painting?? You must let me know! Now I won't be able to sleep wondering if you have chose the right shade of blue, or red, or taupe, or green, or yellow (if there is such a thing?), or orange, or brown, or obergine... You can't leave me hanging here!
Carmen said…
Hmmm - must use dictionary as obviously cannot spell aubergine right the first time around... Bed time.
Lisa said…
We painted it a color deceptively called alligator green. Sounds a little weird but it's an olive-y color. The desk we are putting in the office is charcoal and grey and so we had to find something that would match the desk as well as the crown point sand, danville tan and georgian brick(Benjamin Moore colors) that we have on the areas surrounding that room. I think it looks kopacetic!

PS Me likes aubergine!!
Ok, all I can say is.... "Didn't you meet a painter last weekend?" She is very fast, efficient and requires very minimal furniture relocation!!! Just painted my master bedroom and ensuite "Tiramisu" yesterday with hubby as a helper, it looks amazing!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!