Service Shmervice?!

Where did I go wrong?

In my earlier years I was not helpful. I never volunteered to help babysit anyone's kids, I never offered to make a meal for someone in need, I never committed my time to making the world a better place.

I was happy then. I had time. Lots of it! I had energy too; enough to work all day, come home in the evenings and take the dog for a run or else leave the dog in the backyard (because in those days it was alllll about ME) and bike down to the gym for an aerobics class or a couple of hours working out on the machines. Yep, I was toned, calm, stress free, and loving my selfish, ego-centric life.

Then I had kids.

Life is different now. Now I find myself volunteering for everything that is mentioned within earshot. It doesn't really matter if I know you, I'll help out in some way. I'm teaching my kids how to be good citizens, how to contribute to their community, how to serve their fellow wo/man and how to be Christ-like.

But seriously, do I have to go to such extremes? Last year I noticed that there was no Social Co-ordinator on our PAC so I thought, why not me? My kids were new to the school, I needed to meet some moms and I wanted to be involved, so I opened my pie hole and got myself the job. I didn't have any big goals; I figured one or two events was 100 times better than no events , so I did one or two jobs. Then as the year came to a close I heard myself agree to submit my name for Vice-President of the PAC. I heard myself, but I don't think I was listening. I seriously had NO idea of the amount of work this job requires. The Prez and I have been at the school every day since it started doing 'stuff', and when we are done that we go home and do more 'stuff.' We're both exhausted (right Prez lady!?) and I know that I'm seriously hoping this 'ramping up' levels off really soon. I still have a house that has been begging for a serious cleaning for months now; I still have drawers and closets to organize and I still have all my regular chores! How do you working mothers do it?

The worst part of it all? I love it. I seriously love the people I'm working with. I love their energy and their willingness to serve. I love the laughs, the bumps and struggles along the way, and the sheer banality of it all!

That unhelpful, un-service oriented, un-Christ-like me? She's gone now...and in her place is a much happier, albeit more exhausted, person who's goal in life is to wear out instead of rusting out.

Life is GOOD! Make every day count! Love what you do and do what you love!

Peace out...pass out...

Comments

Carmen said…
Gee, I am brought back to when Ethan began Kindergarten and I was working 2 days a week at my firm in New West and I had Bella who was just a year old, and I decided it would be good to join PAC and became the Exec Sectretary. Ya. Cause I had nothing else to do?? Oh, and Marc was busy running a school in China and Korea so he was only home a few weeks a month each month. But I too have a big mouth and don't know when to keep it shut and haven't learned where my limits are... Like tonight - I am teaching Cubs their law unit. I have a million and one things to do at home, but nooooo. I am going to Cubs for the night. Crazy. Such is life. I am better for it though. hee hee
Julie K. said…
Service is good, helping out others is good.....And I know how hard it is to say no, but sometimes we just have to (and we don't even have to give a reason why.....) Remember, 'no eye contact' - ha, ha!! I enjoyed our morning this week when a bunch of us were at the school, helping out with 'stuff' in the Conference Room. I think this year is going to be a great year, and there is a great group of people involved - and a great Prez and Vice-Prez to run the show.....with many people willing to help!! I would really miss being at the school if I couldn't be there.
I heard someones voice agree to stand for Prez, and really wondered how it was mine. I truly try to blend in with the walls and not have to speak at all. Hoping really that no one will notice me. But honestly, as much as you, I LOVE it!!! Couldn't think of a better way to spend this year!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Scents and Scents-ability

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!