I knew there was something I needed to do...

...but I didn't have it written on the calendar or entered into my iTouch so how was I to remember?

Maybe the big 'E' flashing on the dashboard of my van might have been a reminder, but I always ignore it and I've never had a problem before (okay, maybe there was that one time).

In my own defense, you need to understand that my Empty light is a little bit of an alarmist. The light flicks on when I've got at least 1/4 of a tank left. I mean really, if you're going to flick on then at least be accurate! I can still go a really long way on 1/4 tank of gas. And then, if you take fumes into consideration, I can go even further!

I guess, tonight, I ran out of fumes. As I see it that little orange colored E-light should have been doing something more to warn me. Just sitting there, doing nothing, like it has for the last week, is ineffective! If there had been blinking, slow first and then faster as the tank got emptier, and maybe some sirens or alarms, then maybe I would have paid attention. But just sitting there, hoping I'll pay some attention to it, is certainly not going to achieve it's little goal now is it?

So, anyway, as I turned the corner from our piano teacher's house tonight, I felt a little jolt and, although I've never felt it before (okay, maybe that one time), it was as recognizable as that I've-gotta-push feeling you have when you are about to give birth to your first child. You mothers out there will know what I'm talking about...you've never felt it before but you know darn well what it is and what you need to do. So, after I felt the little jolt/kick, I knew to pull over to the side, loudly declare, 'Crap! I ran out of gas!!!!', get out of the van and begin the walk home whereupon I humbly opened the door and confessed my sin to Father Hubby.

'Forgive me Hubby, for I have sinned. I ignored the happy little 'E' light on the dashboard for the last week. I knew that I needed to get the tank filled today but I got too busy. I really believed, Father, that I had more fumes left.'

Given Hubby's parting comment as he left to go pick up our other daughter from her piano lesson and then get a jerry can full of gas, I believe I'm going to have some repenting to do.

Maybe I'll start with paying attention to the Full/Empty sign on my gas guage. That's what my superego says, but my id (thank you, my wonderful, totally expensive, waste of paper, psychology degree for making me sound smart right at this very moment) wants to argue that would it really be too much to ask for a little alarm when I'm down to my last 5 litres? Would it? I mean the way technology is nowadays that can't be all that difficult to invent.

Whooops, looks like I'm not doing a very good job of being repentant.

"Forgive me Father Hubby....

...it WAS a really nice night for a walk.
....Kiki and I enjoyed the fresh night air
....and holding hands, just the two of us, as we walked and chatted was a nice bonus."

I'm secretly glad I ignored that little 'E' because maybe more than my gas tank was in need of filling; so was my 'spiritual/emotional' tank, and tonight Kiki and I filled it.

Blessing are everywhere...even in the empty gas gauge.

Comments

candise said…
OH MY GOODNESS! I saw you guys walking! Did you see someone zooming by and dancing in their car around 9:15ish? that was me! and after I passed you I thought, hmm that looked like Lisa and Mackenzie, what a nice night to be out for a walk. I should have turned around but I was driving too fast to be sure that it was you(it's the musics fault, I can't drive the speed limit during a good song)
Carmen said…
I did not even know there was a little light that warns of treacherously low levels of gas!! You see, my OCD will not allow my needle to fall below half a tank! I panic when that happens... At least it was a nice night for a walk. hee hee

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!