Perspective

Generally I'm a pretty happy person.  I love life.  I'm grateful for family and friends.  And I count my blessings.  Daily.

Lately though I've been in a funk.  I've been extremely sensitive to rudeness. 

I've begun wallowing,

I've been throwing myself a pity party.

I've been complaining and whining.

I've been 'why me-ing?'

And then...all of a sudden I got a shot of perspective.

Some of my friends are having a hard time getting into the Christmas Spirit this year.  Why?  Because someone was rude to them?  Because someone stole a book out of their hand?  Because a lady yelled something at their vehicle as they drove by?

No. 

At this time of the year when we celebrate the birth of One so special to the world, they mourn the loss of one who was so special to their lives.

One mourns a beloved sister taken in the prime of her life by cancer.

One mourns a beloved and pregnant niece murdered by her spouse.

These people are living hour by hour; hoping the next breath they take will be less painful than the previous one.  Their hearts are breaking wide open.

What is wrong with me that when there is such pain in the world that I am bemoaning such trivial things as I have been?

I am ashamed....


Comments

Kinda brings us back to being thankful for all that we have!

But, a little bit of whining does not mean that your big heart is not open to all those in pain and need. We just need a little healthy venting once in a while to bring us back to the "do unto others" side of our lives. Having some of those rude people to complain about makes us more aware to not behave that way!
Amanda said…
Perspective.....This year to us has been awful I will be so glad when it is over, but today I read in the paper about a couple who lost their baby boy in September and on Sunday their home burnt down, they lost every thing. My year rocked compared to theirs...Who am I to pitty my self, my year was not difficult, it was uncomfortable but I am blessed neyond words....perspective. Thank you for sharing as I can totally 100% identify.
Julie K. said…
Great post Lisa! Thanks for being so honest! Perspective...it's a great thing! I think that this time of year is very sad for many people...recently lost someone they loved, no job, stress in the family or other relationships, no family or friends to spend time with, an empty chair around the christmas dinner table...Makes us very thankful for what we do have, our families, our friends, our faith, our health. I am SO saddened to hear about different situations that people are going through...but I too can get frustrated and do some whining and complaining...I think we all can.

Take care and blessings to you and your family!! They are all blessed to have you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!