Say what?!

Lyrics are very confusing.  Sometimes I think the artists are just making up their own words and when I'm singing along I either sing along with their made up words or I just mumble the parts out hoping no one notices that I don't have a clue.

On the way to dance competition we were laughing about some of the things either we or our friends have taken 'lyrical license' with over the years.

Here are a few of them:

1.  Doug and the Slugs:
What they sang:  Who knows how to make love stay?
What we heard:  Who goes out on Christmas Day?

2. Chyrstal Gayle:
What they sang: Don't it make my brown eyes blue...
What we heard: Donuts make my brown eyes blue.

3. Credence Clearwater Revival (?):
What they sang:  There's a bad moon on the rise...
What we heard: There's a bathroom on the right..

4. Artists for Africa:
What they sang:  Feeeed the wooorld, let them know it's Christmas time...
What we heard (and this one's a real stretch):  Jeeesus Chriiist, let them know it's Christmas time...

5. The Beatles: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
What they sang:  The girl with kalidescope eyes.
What we heard:  The girl with colitis goes by...


Here are two of my own:

1.  REO Speedwagon: In your letter.
So one day I'm singing along to this song in the car with my hubby (then boyfriend) and I belt out these lyrics only to have him start laughing and snort, "What did you just say?"   I'm all like, whaaat?, I sang, "You could have left him only for a measly letter?  Baloney!!"  I defensively pout, "Well, what do you think they're saying?"  He replies, "You could have left him only for an evening. Let him be lonely."   

"Oh!"

  I'm surprised he stayed around long enough to marry me after that!

2. Kenny Loggins: Footloose
Confession.  I have been singing this song since the 80's and although this one line never made a whole lot of sense to me I just mumbled my way through it acceptingly.  This weekend, at dance competition, I heard the lyrics correctly and suddenly they made SO much more sense.  Funny how that happens.

So this is what I heard (this is like the second line of the song):  Hey there! Forward!  Don't tell me what it's like...
This is what they say:  8 hours, for what? Oh tell me what I've got.  I've got this feeling...that time's just holding me down.

What songs have you taken 'lyrical license' with? 

Comments

Sandra said…
Chris and I had a big Elton John phase a while ago...and we both 'heard' the same wrong lyrics!

Elton John: Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)

What he sang: Don't give us none of your aggravation, we've had it with your discipline"
What we heard (somewhat jokingly, but it seriously sounds like it!): Don't give us none of your aggravation, We've had it with your Death Star plan"


Perhaps we were on a Star Wars kick at the same time? LOL : )
Sandra said…
Or the greatest lyrical license of all time - by Phoebe , of Friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvSZzRJWMn4

Seriously. Pee my pants.
Lisa said…
"Hold me close, young Tony D'anza...."

Forever.

In.

My.

Brain!!

Hilarious!!
candise said…
My favourite one of ours, and there have been many, was when Kevin and I were singing Hollaback girl by Gwen stefani and he was so confidently singing:

"there ain't no harm in that girl, yeah there ain't no harm in that girl."

I nearly peed myself.
prashant said…
he greatest lyrical license of all time - by Phoebe
home based data entry
terri said…
I love it. I still don't know all the words to Just like Romeo and Juliet.

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!

Scents and Scents-ability