Book Review: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

I'm a huge Sophie Kinsella fan. She's one of the few authors who can actually make me laugh out loud. Even snort.

It's not that she's just funny but I think it's that she's my kind of funny. You know when you have those goofy, or embarrassing thoughts, or those ones where you think that there's no way anyone with a rational mind would think this way? Or you wonder how in the world you can justify that crazy hair-brained idea? Do you have those ones? Please tell me you do. Well, what's nice about Kinsella is that SHE HAS THEM TOO! It's like she's crawled up inside my brain and has dissected each synapse (all two of them) and recorded them for future writing material. Her characters get embarrassed daily, they do things that they KNOW are stupid yet are compelled to do them anyway, they spend too much money, they love too hard, and they want to please everyone. That's me. In a nutshell. There. Done. Now you know me. I am Rebecca Bloomwood, the impulsive shopper. I am Lara Lington who embarrasses herself to make others comfortable. I am Emma who spills her guts to the unlucky passenger seated beside her on a turbulent flight in which she thinks she is going to die. Uh huh...yup.  Me.

So the other day I was growing tired of reading dreary books about Real Estate, World War II,  and King Arthur (yes, my reading is diverse if nothing else) and I really wanted a feel good, silly novel that would make me laugh hard enough to snort and so naturally I turned to Kinsella because as USA Today says,“[Kinsella] continues to tickle funny bones and touch hearts.”

Enter 'Twenties Girl.'  Not so much 'snortable' as 'feel good-able.' I loved it. The main character, Lara, finds herself attending the funeral of a great aunt who lived to be 105 years old. None of the family members took the time to know Aunt Sadie during her long life and so her funeral is attended purely out of obligation. Afterwards, Lara is visited by the ghost of her Aunt Sadie who claims that a necklace which was very dear to her has been stolen and she can not be buried without it. Sadie makes Lara promise to find it. At first Lara is bothered by Sadie but eventually comes to discover more and more about her great aunt and the life she lead. Sadie was a party girl who lived and loved in the 1920's and she relives this era through Lara. Sadie helps, and hinders, Lara and puts her into the most embarrassing situations. Sometimes it's hard to 'watch' Lara go through the antics but 'watch' I did...and I laughed.

So, if this drizzly July weather has got you in a funk and you need a good laugh. Or, if summer decides to finally descend upon us and you find yourself lying on the beach and need a light, good hearted book to read, pick up Twenties Girl.

I think you'll like it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scents and Scents-ability

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!