Happy 20th Anniversary to Us!!


Yeah, so the old man and I have been hitched for 20 years today.  Been together for 30 years (yes, we started dating when we were BABIES!) and yes, I have been with him for more than 1/2 of my life.  That's pretty crazy when you think of it...he's been there for EVERY major milestone of my life, and I for his.  It's pretty hard for either of us to pull a 'remember when' memory from a period of our lives in which the other person wasn't present.  Oh sure we went off and did things separately, like I lifeguarded for 2 summers in a little town in the Interior, and he lived in the Okanagan for about a year, and he climbed mountains with friends and did hikes that I wasn't part of,  but we were still a couple.   We started dating when I was 14 and he was 17--I had to get special permission from my parents to date him because I wasn't allowed until I was 16.  I remember the discussion quite vividly and my parents agreed to allow him to come over, and to take me on short dates, but I had a curfew and it was an early one!  As the years passed and my parents came to know my Hubby better, that curfew got extended and we were able to spend more time together.  He left for University (a 6 hour drive away) only 4 months after we started dating and my world not only crumbled but it became one of counting down the days until I could see him again.  Long distance was expensive, email/texting/chat/FB didn't exist and so letters were our only form of communication.  We wrote each other faithfully and I would sometimes spray mine with perfume which would make him miss me even worse when he would walk into his dorm room and smell my perfume.  It was so hard.  I missed him so much but I clung to the times we had together and the letters in which he would tell me how much he loved me and that one day he was going to make me Mrs. ____.   There were some bad times too...just ask my mom how I would stomp through the house when I didn't get a letter....or just ask my friends how little I went out and partied with them because I was pining for my boyfriend.  But oh there were joys, like the time I was walking down the hall after last class on a Friday, wishing he would come home, and there he was, standing against my locker with a dozen roses in his hand.  Or, the time he showed up an hour before my final exam in Lit 12 unexpectedly. (How the heck was I supposed to concentrate after that?!).   And those weekends when he was home from university...it was like someone had flicked the light switch back on in my life.   Even talking about it now takes me back, kind of like when you hear a song from your youth and in an instant you are transported back in time and can remember what you were doing, what you were wearing, and what your hopes and dreams were. 

After high school and university were finished, Hubby finally, after 9.5 years, popped the question!  I remember being so nervous at dinner that evening.  He tried to kneel down to ask me and I stopped him, and  I talked so much that he finally had to tell me to stop so that he could ask me to marry him!  He slipped the ring on my finger and I continued to talk...he had to ask me what my answer was.  Our wedding day was beautiful—it was an outdoor garden wedding and my brother performed the ceremony—and we finally were married....and it only took a decade to achieve it!  Talk about moving slow....:)

This past weekend, to celebrate our 20th, we revisited the place where we got engaged and spent the night downtown in a beautiful hotel, ate at an amazing restaurant, walked along Coal Harbor and looked (and drooled) at all the yachts...(saw one for 30 million dollars!) and then capped off the evening at English Bay watching The Celebration of Light Fireworks Festival.  It was awesome!  Then, the next day, we went to Granville Island and took a little tour of False Creek on the Aquabus, ate our way through the Public Market, and then returned home to our regularly scheduled life.  It was such a relaxing, amazing, awesome weekend.   A special, heartfelt thank you to Miss K and Mr. R for taking our kidlets for the night!  Love ya!
So, happy anniversary, my Hubby.  I love you as much today as I did way back then.  When I see you across the room my heart still jumps.  When I catch a glimpse of you wrestling with our son, or hugging our daughters, or even cutting the lawn, I still catch my breath and thank God for the fact that I have you in my life and that we have made it this far--through all the trials of university, of early marriage, of heart surgeries, of septic shock, of sick babies, and all the rest...

I love you. Always have.  Always will.

Baby, you're a firework!


Having our fancy schmancy dinner.  Best filet mignon EVER!


I had a virgin margarita and it was the best darn slurpee I've ever had!  Oh my gosh, it was wonderful!!!
We didn't get down to the flame during the Olympics but we did this weekend--much less of a crowd and no ugly fence to deal with.


Love this building.  Apparently the penthouse suite has a private swimming pool with a full glass bottom above the actual condo so the ceiling looks like an aquarium!  Would hate to get a leak in the roof!  Also, it cost $10,000.00 just to VIEW this penthouse when it was for sale.  Just to view it!  Crazy!

Awww...snuggled up on the Aquabus.  So cute. 

View of False Creek Harbor, from the actual water instead of the bridge like we usually see it!

Look at those yachts!  This is where I want to live.

More yachts.

And the mother of them all! This sucker cost 30 million dollars and it's for sale if you want it. It only costs $70,000.00 to fuel it up but that'll get you to Hawaii and back.  Hmmm...for $70 grand I could go to Hawaii a lot of times by plane! 

We couldn't resist, we had to go walk along side of it and dream....amazing!!


Happy 20th  Hon, can't wait to see what the next 20 holds. Actually I think the next 20 are going to include a lot of wrinkles and leaky body parts so maybe I can wait. Want to just re-do the last 20 years again?!


Comments

C. Diva said…
This was beautiful! having witnessed the two of you together I can honestly say that you are the most in love couple I've ever seen. You deserve nothing but the best in life. The best is yet to be!
Lisa said…
Thank you m'dear! I miss you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Musical...

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Scents and Scents-ability