Treasures

I've been de-cluttering. I've already taken one van load of toys and clothes to the thrift store and I've got another on the way. As I pull out each of these 'treasures', I can't help but remember the thrill I had when I purchased them. How I told myself I would love them forever. How I just knew it would bring me pure joy and contentment.

Funny how now they are just 'things' that I no longer can even bear to display in the storage room. Matter of fact most of them go directly into a box or bag so that I don't have to look at them.

This got me thinking and reflecting on what are the true 'treasures' in my life (and hopefully yours too.)

I found this little story:

It seems there was a wealthy man who was distraught about the toughts of dying and leaving all his treasures behind. He'd worked so hard and accumulated so much! He somehow made a bargain with a Heavenly Official: he could pack one suitcase full of anything he wanted to take with him. It would not be taken away from him when he 'checked in.' After considering carefully what he wanted to take, he filled the suitcase with gold bars.

When he got to the other side, St. Peter was waiting and was curious about the case. "Mind if I look inside?" he asked. The man wasn't pleased about this and insisted that he had special permission to bring it with him. St. Peter assured him that he only wanted to see what he'd chosen to bring--that he wouldn't take it away. He opened it up, looked inside, then seemed amused. "Why in the world would you bring pavement?"

Hmmm....

What are your treasures? What brings you the greatest happiness? The greatest sense of contentment?

In a world fueled by consumption it's hard to resist trying to find more happiness that we are sure the newest acquisition will bring us. I know that I've 'found' happiness in a new purse, new shoes, a new electronic device, but that happiness is just temporary. As soon as it is opened, used and a permanent fixture I find the need to run out and buy something new to re-create that happiness, that euphoria.

What is the point of all these treasures? And, can we really call them as such? In times where we are sick, lonely, needing to feel loved, are these devices, purses, (fill in the blank) the things that we yearn for? No, it's the feeling of a warm body to hug, a child's face that beams of his/her love for you, the tenderness of a kiss, the knowledge that you are loved.

As the story above illustrates, what is valuable here on earth is so minimally treasured in Heaven that it is insignificant. Think about what that means. The tangible treasure that we covet so badly that we give our life for in the manner of trading our very time and life for the almighty paycheque so that we can acquire them, is nothing.

So what are our treasures? Our relationship with Diety, our commitment to following God's plan, loving and worshipping the Lord, loving our family with all our heart, serving our fellow beings, giving more than we receive....

Look 'higher', aim 'higher'! Aim for the things of Heaven, not the things of this world.

In Matthew 6:19-21 we read:

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.


I hope you will take the time this weekend, as you enjoy the glorious sunshine, to think about what your treasures are. I'm rediscovering mine....



Hugs,
Lisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scents and Scents-ability

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!