Flippin' Cancer!!

Just got horrible news.

I sit here with tears flowing like rivers down my face. My dear, sweet friend Mia has been battling cancer since April of this year. She had a spot on her tongue that wouldn't heal. Her dentist mentioned that she should go get it looked at just to make sure everything was okay. After she had a biopsy done and spoke to the doctor she was sure that everything was going to be okay, after all, she wasn't really a candidate for oral cancer...she didn't smoke, didn't chew tobacco, didn't have any of the genetic markers, but when she got the results she was in for a shock. She had cancer!

Mia, was a beacon of strength through her surgery and recovery. She had about 1/3 of her tongue removed, all the lymph nodes in the right side of her neck removed and went through a course of radiation. Through it all she remained positive and drank her yucky Boost through a straw without complaint. That liquid food caused her all kinds of problems and would burn her tongue as she tried to consume it but it's all she had. I talked to her last week and she said that she'd graduated to almond tofu (!) but that eating was still almost impossible. She's lost 90 lbs since January!!! I asked her if she was hungry and she said that she was. This broke my heart.

About two weeks ago, Mia found out that the cancer had spread to the other side of her neck. She's now on morphine for the pain.

This weekend she went to the hospital to get a feeding tube, and after a CAT scan she was told that the cancer has spread and is very aggressive.

What the heck!?

Mia?!

My dear, sweet friend!


She is the most loving, most supportive, most caring individual anyone could ever have the hope of knowing. She has the most beautiful smile! It lights up the room. The world is a better place because she is in it; she represents all that is good.

I met her over 20 years ago at university.

I met her day one.

I loved her day one.



She was like a big sister and a surrogate mom all rolled into one for me. Over the years we lost touch but I never stopped thinking about her.

And then one day I found her.

On Facebook. (see, FB does have some worth!!)

It was like we'd never lost 20 years. We just picked up our friendship right where we left off.

Mia has been my biggest supporter and has encouraged me to continue my writing and has made me feel like I'm capable of anything.

When I was sick, Mia was recovering from surgery, but that didn't stop her from sending me her love through emails/FB and phone calls to my family. Had she been able, she would have been at my bedside encouraging me in only the way that she can. She lifts people up without being condescending or patronizing. She's sincere and that's a rarity these days.

Mia and I were supposed to get together this morning for coffee/lunch. It would have been the first time seeing her since 1986. Instead, I got a call from her friend telling me that Mia's situation is grim and her time is short.



I'll get to see her face to face tomorrow (or later today) except that it'll be her in the hospital bed and I'll be the one trying to uplift and support.

I hope Mia can help me out with this...she's the pro.
Mia, I know at some point you're going to read this. I just want you to know that there's some things I won't be able to say to you in words because it's just too hard. I love you...even though we've been separated by time and space for so many years, I think of you as one of my nearest and dearest friends. I thank God that I found you and was able to partake of your loving nature and the essence that is Mia for the last couple of years again. Our time together on earth has been short but I know we'll see each other in heaven and then we can hang out forever!(and you won't have to just have Boost, and maybe you can get me to try that gorgonzola, pear gelato crap!)



I love you Mia. Be strong. You can do this.

By the way Mia...do you like chocolate? (hee..hee)

Love you!
Me


Comments

Anonymous said…
Lisa, Reading your blog brought fresh tears to my eyes as this Sunday, I have to attend the memorial service of someone close to our family who lost her battle with cancer far too soon. She leaves behind a husband, 2 children (20, 22) and a whole bunch of us who are just devestated. Be strong in the days ahead for your friend. You've got such a great attitude, friends like you are rare and to be treasured!

Wendy (Jenna's mom - in case you know more than one Wendy)
Lisa, I'm here! What can I do! Love you!!
Anonymous said…
Oh, Lisa, I cried when I read this (it's been an emotional day.) My heart goes out to you. If there's anything I can do, for either your family or Mia's, please let me know. Love you, ~M~.
Julie K. said…
Lisa, I feel so sad reading about your very dear friend Mia, and all that she is going through. And for you, and how difficult this is, to see someone you love and care about so much, to be suffering. She will be so touched when she reads what you wrote. What a blessing that you had the opportunity to reconnect after so many years. I know that you will be an encouragement when you see her, and you will be given the right words to say, or just by being there she will feel your love and support.

Thinking about you, praying for you, and praying for your friend. Take care.
Tell Mia that a stranger sends her love and to take the strength from all of us and YOU who are all Praying with her!

God Bless
Cindy said…
Lise, I'm so sorry to hear about Mia! You know, I've been able to tell from comments she's made on your blog or FB what a kind, gentle person she is. She is in our prayers. Love ya!
Julie MacLellan said…
Oh Lisa, so lovely. Thank you for this tribute for our darling friend, whose time was so much too short.
I am so very sorry that this is the way we had to first talk, but so very happy that we both got to have her in our lives.
Anonymous said…
Lisa.. thank you for writing this. I'm amazed that all the years that have passed did not change Mia one bit.
After seeing her last night at the hospital, I now understand that I was meant to reconnect with her and my life is so much more special knowing that she will always be in my heart & my memories. Thanks again for your wonderful testament. xoxo Maria Chen

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Suzie Homemaker...

Scents and Scents-ability

Penalty: Excessive and flagrant use of eye candy. Wooo hooo!!!